Some people seem to be blessed with an innate desire and ability to exercise. They always seem to easily exercise on a regular basis (and enjoy it!), leaving the rest of us to wonder how they have the time to go to the gym and how they enjoy working out so much. But there’s much more to the story: anybody who exercises regularly will likely attest that they don’t have the time to go to the gym, they make the time. And they enjoy it because it helps them feel good.
So how, then, do they make the time? How do you make exercise a priority? And how do you get yourself to enjoy it? The answers to those questions are more simple than they may seem. It all simplifies to a few basic concepts:
- Realizing the importance of exercise
- Making exercise more convenient
Everybody who exercises frequently likely does those two things. That’s what motivates them to get out of bed and go to the gym (or use their home gym) every day. Because they prioritize their physical health and wellness, they make time every day to take care of their bodies. Here’s how you can do it, too.
Realize the Importance of Exercise
It’s been said a thousand times, but it’s worth repeating over and over again: Exercise is good for you. It will help you feel better, think better, sleep better, and be better overall. When you exercise, you’ll be happier, perform better at work, and lead a better life in general. And when we say “exercise,” it doesn’t have to be preparing for a marathon or doing anything intense. Going on a walk every day would suffice. But the first step to getting into the habit of exercising is to realize that it definitely is important.
Make Exercise More Convenient
The best way to do this is to create a home gym. That way, it’ll always be there waiting for you whenever you want to get in a quick workout. If you don’t have the means to make a home gym, start small (maybe consider buying a treadmill and some free weights) and built it over time. In the meantime, here are some more ideas as to how to make exercise more convenient:
- Participate in an activity you enjoy. Instead of going to the gym, join a soccer team, go rock climbing, or do another activity that you love.
- Get a gym buddy. That way, you’ll be more motivated to go to the gym and you’ll enjoy your time there more than you otherwise would have.
- Exercise at the same time every day. Whether it’s mornings, during your lunch break, right after work, or any other time, having a set schedule for when you’ll hit the gym will help you follow through with your commitment to a healthier lifestyle.